Wednesday 23 December 2009

Neck It!

OK so following another week of discovery, this time challenging myself to be without my beloved shirts (results soon to follow), I return to formality and a new challenge, oh so apt for this festive season.

After recently giving my wardrobe a quick spruce (yes, I said spruce) I found many items that have lain dormant, neglected and unloved for some time. Many of them being neckwear accessories of some description. Ties, bowties, scarves (both evening and warming varieties), cravats, even oversized pocket squares all aching to be worn. While, as I have previously mentioned I do love formal flair, I often ignore the neck area focusing more embellishment upon the chest pocket of my blazer.

Why not do both? Like this fine E.Tautz mannequin picture over at Style Salvage?

Now, I feel, is the time for change. With the build up and following period of Christmas upon us everyone accepts a little more pizzazz (yes, I said pizzazz) and sense of ‘dressing up’ which should avoid sniggers from those who know oh so little! (Surely you don't even care what they think or say anyway? I know I don't, fashion should be fun!)

This week I challenge you to adorn your neck with varying garments to stretch your accessory horizons, enjoy dressing up, and harking back to a time of class and decadence!

Such grace and elegance from one of the finest exponents of accessorizing, Mr. Fred Astaire

With this I don’t just mean throw on the same mundane scarf you’ve been wearing all season! Oh no! Really experiment with what’s in your wardrobe, or better still buy something new! Christmas upon on us and a short breath from the inevitable sales what better time, or raid your favoured vintage/charity store for archaic gems.

I have taken a lot of inspiration recently from accessorizing new areas and realising just how much could be achieved, obviously from the fine fellow above but also Messr. Salter at Style Salvage, and Messrs. JKissi and Trav at Street Etiquette with not only their general out look but also the two linked stories in particular.

One man who I know will have no problem with this challenge, is a good friend of mine Aaron over at Individualism. His use of neckwear accesories has long been a source of inspiration to me, both in how and what he wears but also where from. Trawling high and low, high end and thrift stores, he even goes so far as to accessorize his findings with more accomplishment; collar pins, studs, tie clips and more have all dazzled, tiny but mighty, from his outfits. I await his results from the challenge with bated breath.....

Image courtesy of FaceHunter

I am lucky enough to already be fairly suitably stocked (though the bankcard may get a minor bashing!) with a lot of produce from the fine purveyors of dandy accessories Peckham Rye (look out for the imminent interview I recently had with the fine gents behind the British treasure trove) so keep your eyes peeled on twitter for my day to day wears!

Image courtesy of The Sartorialist

As ever I will post my results at the end of the week and would love you to do the same, send pics to my twitter or to Stevie.Style09@googlemail.com or just post them in the comments box below!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I'm a strong advocate that dressing should be fun. We should all have a little fun in the morning. Add a little pomp and colour to our outfits. This reminds me of my chat with Charlie Casely Hayford, I asked him what he wished men wore more and his answer was Neckerchiefs. He is right they have a beautiful sensibility about them that is often mistaken for overt femininity. We can help change a few peoples views in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve! Dressing up is definitely a topic to be further explored. What fun to find an interesting colour story each morning!

    I am still teasing with the idea of autumnal tonal colours you recently raised. Such rich warm hues are about and available that compliment each other, and echo nature. I could wax lyrical for a long time about the beauty of colours found in nature, especially in autumn.

    How we as humans accept them as a colour palette because we are so used to seeing them frequently around us that when we see them teamed together in an outfit we are automatically approving.

    Lets open peoples minds to colours and dandy accessories!

    ReplyDelete